Seeking Justice and Compensation Because of Police Misconduct

Every time we call the police for help, we expect them to be kind to us. We want them to handle our case efficiently. Even during traffic stops, we expect the police to respect your rights and not try to escalate a situation. Unfortunately, a lot of people end up sustaining injuries or threatened by the police. This usually results from police misconduct. If you have been a victim of police misconduct, you need to report it to make sure there is a record of this misconduct and possible penalties and repercussions as well as Las Vegas Civil Rights Attorney to help you get the justice you deserve. 

Police misconduct can take a lot of forms. But, it usually includes abuse of authority, torture to force confessions, sexual assault, dishonesty, police brutality, and coercion. Even if the police are enforcing the law, they are not above it. Federal and state police should comply with laws and honor every person’s civil rights. When they purposely ignore the civil rights of a citizen, the person suffers serious emotional, financial, and physical distress. 

Police Brutality

This type of police misconduct occurs when an officer uses unnecessary force or threatens to when questioning, arresting, investigating, or transporting a suspect. Unlawful force occurs because of officers abusing their authority. Usually, these illegal actions lead to other civil rights violations like improper arrest, false imprisonment, and malicious prosecution. Police misconduct includes verbal abuse, punching handcuffed suspects, physiological intimidation to permit improper searches, shooting compliant unarmed persons, and denying medical care to pregnant offenders.

Malicious Prosecution

This civil rights violation occurs because of the government wrongly prosecuting someone. Police can abuse the civil rights of a citizen by filing criminal charges with evil reasons other than justice. For a victim to successfully bring this claim, they need to win the criminal case. This requires a court to enter an order for dismissal or not guilty. The victim should prove that the actions of the police interfered with the prosecutor’s exercise of fair judgment. A file should be filed within two years from the dismissal of a case or a fading of not guilty date. And because the claim can arise a lot of years after the police abuse happened, victims should maintain records including the names of the cops involved, case dismissal date, and medical reports. 

It is important to know your civil rights as the law limits your time to file. You can increase your chances of proving a complex case like this when you work with an experienced civil rights lawyer. The right attorney will work to get you the compensation and justice you deserve. 

Show More
Back to top button