How to prepare for Class 12 Home Science According to the latest CBSE Pattern
Home science teaches how to make effective use of available resources when they are most needed. The CBSE board has introduced Home Science as a subject from Class 11. Home science is the easiest subject where students can score good marks.
To study home science students will need to refer to NCERT Books Class 12 Home Science which is prescribed by the CBSE board for all the CBSE board schools. In this article, we will discuss what is the syllabus for home science, what is the pattern for home science, and how to prepare for home science.
Syllabus for the Exam
The CBSE board has structured a syllabus for Class 12 home science and also authorized NCERT textbooks for the subject. There are a total of 6 units which includes a total of 25 chapters and they are divided into two NCERT textbooks, viz Human Ecology and Family Sciences part-I and Human Ecology and Family Sciences part-II. The first textbook has 3 units and 10 chapters. The second textbook also has 3 units and 15 chapters.
The first unit, Work, Livelihood and Career, has only one chapter. The second unit of nutrition, Food Science and Technology has 5 chapters. The third unit Human Development and Family Studies has a total of 4 chapters. Fourth unit fabric and apparel, fifth unit Resource management, and sixth unit Communication and extension, each have 5 chapters. These units have their marks weightage in the exam. Based on that, students can plan their studies.
Exam pattern for Home Science
Home science is an optional subject. This subject has 100 marks. It consists of a written exam and a practical exam. The written exam has 70 marks and the practical exam has 30 marks. There are a total of 6 units. These units are important for the written exam. Students should study according to the marks’ weightage distributed for each unit. Each unit has a certain number of chapters. By prioritizing which chapter to learn first based on mark’s weightage. The second unit nutrition, food, science, and technology have the highest marks weightage that is 18 and the fourth unit fabric and apparel have 16 marks weightage. The next important units are a third and fifth unit, that are human development and family studies and resource management respectively which holds 12 marks weightage each. Sixth unit communication and extension have 7 marks weightage and first unit work, livelihood, and career have 5 marks weightage. In this way, 70 marks of written exams are distributed. The practical exam will be an internal assessment. There will be a project for 5 marks. Preparing a menu for any preschooler, family, or school canteen will hold 5 marks. For practical tests there will be questions like identify adulterant by chemical test for 2 marks, prepare a sample using textile industry techniques for 4 marks and remove stain from cloth for 2 marks. Students will have to develop a leaflet or a pamphlet for consumer protection and education for 5 marks. The file will also hold 5 marks. Viva will be of 2 marks. In this way, 30 marks of the practical exam are distributed in a home science subject. Remember this paper pattern to plan your study plan.
Importance of Home Science
Just by looking at the syllabus, you can tell that it is going to be a more useful subject for real-life applications than any other subject. Home science teaches students to make the most out of little things. It teaches real-life skills. Although this subject’s major marks are attributed to theory exams, students must not forget that it is a most practical based topic. Learnings from this subject can be helpful to anyone. Hence it is important to have a positive attitude while learning this subject. Have an open mind about your surroundings. Students can apply the gained knowledge from the subject to household chores.
Tips to remember while preparing for Class 12 Home Science
As easy as may it seem, home science also needs proper preparation. When a student is aiming for getting a high score in the Class 12 exam, then every subject matters. Of course, Home science does not need a lot of dedicated time to prepare, unlike other subjects which need a proper amount of time. For home science, the subject student must give at least 1-2 hours of time weekly. In this time, they can utilize it by reading, writing, or revising related to home science. Many students are confused about how to study Class 12 Home Science. Here are some tips to avoid mistakes while preparing for the subject –
- Only learn from textbooks. There is no need for any other book than two NCERT textbooks authorized by the CBSE board. Everything that will come in the exam, written exam and practical exam both will be from these two textbooks. Hence to save time and energy, students need to only prepare from NCERT textbooks.
- Do not make notes. There is no need to make a separate notebook to take notes. There are 25 chapters and analyzing every chapter to note down what is important and what is not is a time-consuming and tedious process. Students can highlight the important keywords from the chapters but beyond that, there is no need to make notes for this subject. Every concept is important from the exam point of view hence every week we learn one concept for 1 hour and revise the previous concept for 1 hour.
- Do not try to solve questions apart from the textbook. There is no need to solve question banks from other platforms. Also, no need to solve more than 2-3 sample papers.
- Do not skip any concept. Focus on getting a conceptual understanding of every chapter and frame answers for the questions in your own words. Solve every solved and exercise question from the textbooks. Do not skip any questions.
- Take a glance at past years’ questions to understand how questions are asked and prepare accordingly.
Students must understand that this subject is important but investing daily 1-2 hours for it is not a rational decision. For subjects like this, students need weekly theoretical study of the subject. If students focus more on practical home science to get conceptual understanding, then they can easily make this one of their high-scoring subjects.